Pages

Friday, July 13, 2012

13.1

~ Bonjour ~







Philippians 4:13

I can do all things 

Through

HIM

Christ

who gives 

Me

strength.







Running is something I enjoy doing, not just a little, but a lot.

Thinking about today and it being Friday the 13, I decided I would 

put together a post on running and half marathons, simply because there

are 13.1 miles in a half marathon

I have recently learned that a new upcoming word for 

half marathons 

is 

Pikermi.

Pikermi itself is a town.  A town halfway between the cities of

Marathon

&

Athens.

The word "marathon" originated from the city of Marathon because

Pheidippides 

ran

those

24.85

miles 

between

Marathon

&

Athens!

The legend about Pheidippides is that once Pheidippides delivered his message of

Greek victory over the Persians;

"Niki!"

or

"Victory"

he collapsed and died.

This is what set a precedent for the running of marathons.

So, why is it that the marathon is 26.2 miles?

Apparently,

In 1896, the marathon distance was determined by the distance from the 

Marathon Bridge, where the race began to the 

Olympic stadium in Athens, which is 24.85 miles.

Then in 

1908,

The length of the race increased to 26 miles because this was the distance between

Windsor Castle

&

White City stadium.

Then,

385 yards were added on the the race so that the royal family's viewing box

could be the spot where the race finished on the nose.

For this particular reason,

the 1908, distance remained and

the 

birth 

of  the 

26.2 

mile

Marathon

began.

So

13.1 

is 

symbolic in a way to me.  The number is in my blog Pearl 13.1 for a couple reasons.

1.  I enjoy running 13.1 miles, the pikermi, or half marathon.

2.  One of my favorite bible verses is 1 Corinthians 13:1-13.

3.  One of the first bible verses I memorized and I recited while running my first half marathon was

Philippians 4:13

I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.





~ Believe ~




~ Achieve ~




~ Run ~




~ Receive ~





~ Strength ~




~ Breathe ~




~ Run ~






~ You Can ~

Do

All

Things

Through

HIM


AMEN

                                    

8 comments:

  1. Nice post - I know not a marathon , thank you so much for the lesson ! A wonderful photo- cross with Christ that is beautiful !
    You gave a great thing for!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi,

      Thank you for for the sweet words.

      Sincerely,
      Michele

      Delete
  2. Michele!

    This is so interesting! I didn't know any of this history, so thank you for sharing. Good for you for all the running you do .. not easy! It clears the head in addition to all the other benefits. I admire your strength in what you believe :)

    Enjoy your weekend!!

    leslie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Leslie ~


      You are right, running is a great way to clear the mind. Thanks for your kind words too Leslie.

      God Bless You,
      Michele

      Delete
  3. I like what you did with the meaning of the numbers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much.

      God Bless You,
      Michele

      Delete
  4. Hello Michelle

    I love you blog and this is my first visit, so I am settling in for a good read.

    This is a very inspiring post.

    I run 5 k's and am always impressed by half-marathoners and full marathon runners.

    Thank you for your visit
    I am your new follower.

    Helen xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. My dear Michelle,

    No matter who we are, whether athletic or not, we are all called to ENTER THE RACE. Our hearts of determination DETERMINE how long we stay in the race for the prize of having participated. I love to run though I stick to walking these days. My knees are GOOD but I want to keep them that way! But going on until you absolutely, physically cannot go is what we were meant to do. TO go until you mentally and spiritually cannot endure, we are CALLED TO DO. I love this post. THANK YOU FOR VISITING ME and I wish you a fabulous week! Anita

    ReplyDelete

Similar posts to enjoy: